Last week, Unshackle Upstate joined with other advocates as part of the ‘Let NY Work’ Coalition, calling on lawmakers to approve a six-bill mandate relief package to ease the financial burden facing many school districts in the state.
A tax freeze is, unfortunately, nothing more than a Band-Aid on a bullet wound. Our property taxes are still going to go up.
The six items in the Coalition’s mandate relief package include:
- freezing ‘step increases’ when contracts expire;
- controlling construction costs;
- providing portable pension benefits;
- redefining Compulsory Arbitration;
- capping health insurance costs; and
- prohibiting new unfunded mandates.
This is a common sense list, which we think the Legislature and Governor should approve.