The Governor’s submission of his 30-day amendments signals the beginning of the budget negotiation process. Other important state budget-related dates in the coming weeks include the following:
- Feb. 27 – Final Joint Legislative Budget Hearings
- Feb. 28 – Joint Revenue Forecasting Conference
- March 1 – Consensus Revenue Report
- March 11 – action on one-house budget bills expected
- March 14 — Final Report of Joint Conference Committee expected
- March 21 — Final session day scheduled before the end of the current state fiscal year
- April 1 — First day of the 2013-14 state fiscal year
Over the next few weeks, the Senate and Assembly will establish their positions on each budget by introducing the one-house budget bills (expected the first week in March). At that point, we expect that legislators will meet in budget conference committees to resolve their differences, and then negotiations between the Governor and the Legislature will commence.
The timing of the Passover and Easter holidays complicate the budget schedule this year. In order for lawmakers to meet the March 31st budget deadline, they will have to reach agreement on and approve the budget earlier than usual.