On Tuesday, Gov. Cuomo, Attorney General Schneiderman, Senate Majority Leader Skelos and Assembly Speaker Silver announced agreement on a package that is intended to curb prescription drug abuse.
The agreement, which has not yet been put into bill form, will include a number of provisions to improve the manner in which prescription drugs are distributed and tracked in New York State, including:
– enacting a “real time prescription monitoring registry”
– requiring all prescriptions to be electronically transmitted;
– improving safeguards for the distribution of specific prescription drugs that are prone to abuse;
– charging a workgroup of stakeholders with helping to guide the development of medical education courses and other public awareness measures regarding pain management and prescription drugs; and
– requiring the Department of Health to establish a safe disposal program for unused medications.